Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fort Robinson


I can't believe that I have never been to Fort Robinson or Chadron, Nebraska before. What was I waiting for? This part of the state is so different from our flat eastern part of the state. I drove from Lincoln to Chadron after work on July 2. I drove on I 80 to Grand Island then northwest on Highway 2. It was beautiful but unfortunately, it got dark around the time that I got to the Nebraska National Forest. I'll have to do that another time.

The next morning, I went to Fort Robinson. There is so much history there. It was a major fort in our country's expansion to the west. Many bad things happened to our native Americans. Many buffalo were killed for there furs.

Fort Robinson has much to see and do. You can stay in the lodge or the cabins at the fort. Unfortunately, I planned this trip at the last minute and was not able to stay there or in the cabins at Chadron State Park. I learned that if you want to stay at these cabins, you have to make a reservation a year in advance. That is generally not my style to plan a trip a year in advance, so I stayed at a Super 8 in Chadron. This was centrally located to many things in the area so it worked out well.

The day started out with a big breakfast in Crawford at the Frontier Bar. The food was very good and the prices were more than reasonable. The waitresses were very friendly in this small town.

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment