Thursday, September 9, 2010

Always:The Love Story of Irving Berlin

Tonight I had such a treat. I went to see Always: The Love Story of Irving Berlin at the Rococo Theatre with my parents. My father loves Irving Berlin. His all time favorite song is God Bless America. It was performed by Mark Nadler and KT Sullivan. They sang his songs which they wove into Irving Berlin's story.

He had a fascinating life story. He wrote about 1500 songs--many of which I didn't realize were his. He was a very patriotic man. He loved this country and what it stood for. He came from Russia as a Jew in the late 1800's with his parents. They were very poor. He learned to write songs. As a classic movie fan, I recognized so many of the wonderful songs.

His songs were song by the greats such as Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Alice Faye to name a few. I think of the many movies that he wrote the songs for such as Alexander's Ragtime Band, White Christmas, Holiday Inn, and Annie Get your Gun.

My parents and I loved the performance and bought the CD after the show. I'll be enjoying it in the future as I make road trips.

If you ever have the chance to see this show, please go.

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment