Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Massachussetts Senate Race

For at least the last 10 years, I have found politics fascinating and love to watch the political talk shows. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't.

Martha Coakley, Democrat and attorney general, won the primary to replace Ted Kennedy vs. Scott Brown, Republican and attorney who practices family law. So many interesting factors to think about. What effect is it that she is a woman? Everyone concedes that she ran a lousy campaign. Is Brown a tea partier? Did Coakley's vacation to the Carribean from December 19 to January 5 cost her the campaign. Did she really think she was "entitled" to the seat?

In October, 2009, I took a wonderful vacation to Massachussetts. I saw a debate for the senate primary. I heard Coakley and her positions. A day or two later, my friend and I went to Quincy, Mass. to see the John Adams house and church. It was a chilly, rainy day and on our way back to Newton, there were some people out in the rain with campaign signs. It was Scott Brown and some campaigners. My timing was great to see Coakley and Brown early in the campaign.

They have now announced that Brown is the projected winner according to the AP. Earlier today Mike Barnicle said that if Brown won, the democrats would be out in full force for the next election.

Now we'll have to see how Brown's election plays out on the national scale. What will happen with Obama's health care bills. Will Obama start to listen to what the people want? Will Congress or will they want to ram things through regardless of what the people want?

Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment