Saturday, October 16, 2010

Washington DC


Last night my niece and I arrived in DC about 7:30 pm. I friend of mine picked us up at Reagan International and we went to eat at Phillips Flagship. What is better than all you can eat seafood? We ate crab and crab cakes, mussels, clams--fried and steamed, salmon, chowder, etc. We got our monies' worth. We then were treated to a ride around the memorials and monuments. It certainly is beautiful at night.

We checked into our hotel and got some rest after planning for a 6 hour tour today. The tour was by OnBoard and I would highly recommend it. Our tour guide was Amy and it was easy to see that she likes her job. She was very knowledgeable and interesting. We saw the monuments and stopped at several of them for photos. We also had a yacht ride with lunch on the Potomac. I had never done this before. My niece has never been here before and I haven't been here for about eight years.

I love tours if they are done well and this one was. We learned so much and saw so much. I wanted to do a tour on the first day so we could get our bearings and we did.

This photo of FDR at his memorial is but one of the many things we saw today. I have lots more to show you, but I need some sleep.

Tonight we went to Alexandria, Virginia on a ghost tour. It's fascinating to see all the old homes and buildings here that were built when our country was being created. We ate at an Italian restaurant--Il Porto before the tour. It smelled so good when we walked in. I had lasagna. It was delicious.

The tour was fun and interesting to hear about the ghosts of Alexandria. Of course, no day would be complete if I didn't embarrass myself in some way. There was a small pothole in the street and I stepped in it and SPLAT! I had my camera but I had put it in my purse. Although I feel somewhat jarred by the fall, the only thing that really hurts is my pride.

Tomorrow we have a birthday of a famous Nebraskan. Does anyone know whose birthday it is? If not, check in and I'll let you know.

We'll be in touch and let you know what we're up to.

Good night and sweet dreams.

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment