Sunday, January 29, 2012

Geese at Desoto

Yesterday my friend and I went to Desoto National Wildlife Refuge. We were hoping to see lots of eagles. Our best viewing was as we were driving on I-80 near Mahoney State Park. Two bald eagles were flying over the highway. Eagles are glorious as they soar above. However, I couldn't take pictures with my new 400 mm lens as I drive down the the interstate at 75 mph. We did see three eagles but they were two far to get anything very good. The temperatures were in the 40s but the wind over the water made it feel very cold. I can't understand how the geese sit on the ice.

Desoto was hit hard by the flood last year and you could see the water line on the trees and bushes. Parts of the land are ravaged and look like desert. Lots of trees have died and fallen. I'm sure it will come back but nature was hard on the refuge last year.

We plan to go back as spring comes when we can see the wildlife again.

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment