Monday, March 8, 2010

Happy International Women's Day!

What a great day to honor so many fabulous women. My major as an undergrad in the 70s was Women's Studies. Last October, I went to Seneca Falls and visited Elizabeth Cady Stanton's home. The same day I went on to Rochester, NY and visited Susan B. Anthony's home. For me, the day was inspiring.

I am very inspired by the Clara Colby story. She lived in Beatrice, Nebraska (my home town) and published the Women's Tribune--a publication advocating women's suffrage. She personally experienced how women were treated badly by the law. Her husband, a lawyer, divorced her and at that time, was entitled to the property and the children.

In college, I remember reading writings by women who had to use men's names in order to be published.

Things have changed for the better, but I fear that young women today have no appreciation of the work that was done so that they could have most of the opportunities that men have had. I see in my profession so many more women, but to them, it's something they can take for granted. I work with as many men as women. I see how we think so differently in our everyday life and in how we try to solve problems, big and small.

There have always been strong women and they inspire us. I think of my grandmothers and mother. We have so many opportunities. We need to inspire the next generation--daughters and nieces.

There is still work to do. As Abigail Adams asked her husband, "Remember the ladies."

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment