Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Happy belated birthday, Raymond Burr


True, he's not a famous Nebraskan, but he's one of my heroes. I remember watching him when I was very young in Perry Mason. When I was in junior high, the reruns were on after school. Ella, a woman who was like a grandmother in our family, also loved the show. I often visited her after school and we watched it together. I have such good memories of spending afternoons with her. And who wouldn't want a Della Street or Paul Drake to assist you on the difficult cases. There are few real Perry Mason moments in life when you get the guilty one to confess--but wouldn't it be great?

Raymond Burr was born on May 21, 1917 in Westminster, British Columbia, Canada. Please check out his biographies online. Before becoming Perry Mason, he was in a number of B movies. He also starred in some of the movie classics, such as Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. It's truly one of my favorites. It shows Burr's ability to play such an evil man verses the Perry Mason we all know and love. And no one was happier than I, when Perry Mason came back for his television movies in the 80's and 90's. Loved them. Barbara Hale's son, William Katt, played Paul Drake, Jr.

Raymond Burr died of cancer in 1993, but his legacy goes on. He and his partner, Robert Benevides, owned a winery. Every year on the weekend near his birthday, Mr. Benevides hosts a birthday bash in Burr's honor. They serve chili, Portuguese cornbread, and chocolate cake. This is where I was this last Saturday. What a treat! It is so beautiful. Please visit his website at raymondburrwinery.com. I've got some photos to show very soon. I hope to go again next year.

Last May, I went to Santa Rosa to a Raymond Burr film festival. Barbara Hale and Robert Benevides, among others were there for panels. Some of his personal items were raffled off. I bought 100 tickets but didn't win. However, Ms. Hale brought one of her personal scripts to auction off. From the minute I learned that, the script was mine! It was so fun to go to this event. I was even a small celebrity in my own right. Everyone wanted to meet the woman who came 1500 miles for this film festival. I'd only found out about it 6 days earlier and had to jump through lots of hoops to get to go, but I was there.

I appreciate your fine acting and love Perry Mason.

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment