Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fiddler on the Roof

Last night I went to Fiddler on the Roof at the Omaha Community Playhouse with my parents. Wow! What a treat. I have seen the movie and the play more than once. We went because the man playing the lead, Tevye, is Mark Thornburg, a native of Beatrice.

This is what Bob Fischbach of the Omaha World Herald had to say in his review:

"If you're like me, you've probably seen “Fiddler on the Roof” a time or two since the musical became a Broadway smash in 1964.

But you haven't yet seen the Omaha Community Playhouse's revival. And you probably haven't seen Mark Thornburg as Tevye, the folksy Jewish milkman always talking to God amid troubles in his Russian village.

And both are something to go out of your way to see.

Not since “Ragtime” in 2006 has the playhouse's main stage been filled with a show this strong in absolutely every aspect of the theatrical arts."

I couldn't agree more. My parents loved it. They are friends with Mark's parents and we wanted to see it. Mark and the rest of the cast were fabulous. I personally love the music in Fiddler. My favorites are Matchmaker, Matchmaker and Sunrise, Sunset.

I cannot wait to see Mark Thornburg when he performs again. He definitely has three new fans. Then entire cast was fabulous. This story has humor and sadness in it.

Unfortunately, today is the last performance or I would be telling all my friends to go.

Another thing I want to discuss is the Omaha Community Playhouse. What history it holds for theatre in this part of the country. Marlon Brando's mother taught acting there. Henry Fonda made his debut there. Henry Fonda discovered Dorothy McGuire when acting with her in a play at the Omaha Community Playhouse. One of the theatres is named for them. I have been to the playhouse before but it has been years. I do not plan to make it so long again. I knew these celebrities had made their starts here and I enjoyed seeing their pictures.

It couldn't have been a more enjoyable evening for my parents and me. I know some people think there is nothing to do in Nebraska. There is a lot to see and do. Go find it.

Nebraska Nellie


3 comments:

  1. sounds like it was a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was. I would go again.

    Nebraska Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in a neighborhood filled with actors. Such drama all the time!

    ReplyDelete