Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Spangler Arlington Brugh


Robert Taylor was born Spangler Arlington Brugh on August 5, 1911 in Filley, Nebraska.

He passed away at the age of 57 on June 8, 1969 in Santa Monica, California from lung cancer. His funeral was attended by many Hollywood celebrities and the eulogy was performed by long time friend and then Governor of California, Ronald Reagan. Taylor and Reagan were long time friends and the Reagans were godparents to the Taylor children. I was able to find his eulogy online.

Today is 41 years since his early death. It seems such a loss that he wasn't around for many more years. Taylor is the center of my famous Nebraskans collection because he grew up and graduated in my home town of Beatrice. My high school has a scholarship in Taylor's honor for fine arts students.

There are several authors that have written about Taylor. Linda Alexander has written Reluctant Witness: Robert Taylor. Jane Ellen Wayne wrote The Man with the Perfect Face. I recommend them both.

TCM honored Robert Taylor in April as the star of the month. I recorded as many of his movies as possible. This last weekend I watched The Last Hunt. This western starred Taylor and Stewart Granger on a buffalo hunt. In many movies, Taylor plays a romantic lead or a hero. In this film, he is the bad guy and Granger is the good guy. His son Terry, said at a conference about his father, that Westward the Women was Taylor's favorite movie. I think it's mine as well. It certainly shows women in strong roles. I enjoy watching Taylor in the wide variety of roles he played.

I wish I had had the honor of meeting him but we are fortunate to have his film legacy to enjoy forever.

Nebraska Nellie

1 comment:

  1. I like this picture. It shows RT's long eyelashes through the shadow they cast on his upper cheek. He was a very handsome man.

    ReplyDelete