Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dorothy McGuire.

Dorothy McGuire was born on June 14, 1918 in Omaha, Nebraska. She was discovered by Henry Fonda, when she was a teenager in A Kiss for Cinderella at the Omaha Community Playhouse. Fonda was starring as a visiting alumni member.

She was on Broadway in a number of plays before she was in the movies. Her second was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn when she replaced a pregnant Gene Tierney. I loved her in The Enchanted Cottage and A Spiral Staircase. I think most remember her best as the mom in Old Yeller. However, I think my favorite film with her is A Gentleman's Agreement.

Dorothy McGuire is both beautiful and a great actress. Check out imdb.com for a list of all the television and movie roles she was in. She died September 13, 2001 in Santa Monica. She is another of my favorite famous Nebraskans.

Happy birthday, Ms. McGuire.

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment