Friday, October 30, 2009

John Adams










On October 27, 2009, I went to Quincy, Massachusetts, and visited the "Presidents' Church". John Adams (the 2nd president) and John Quincy Adams (the 6th president) and their wives are buried in a crypt in the basement of the church. The only other president buried in this way is Woodrow Wilson in the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. I have also seen where he is buried.

The photos above are the crypts, which were very hard to photograph due to the type quarters so I am only showing John Adams' crypt. On the wall outside the crypt, are plaques about each of them. Louisa was American but was the only first lady to be born outside the United States.

On October 28, I went back to Quincy and took a tour of the Adams family mansion, named Peace Field. Four generations of Adams lived there until the 1920s. I will do that blog later.

I want to add more about the ladies in my next blogs. They are interesting in their own right.

Also on display are some of the writings of John and Abigail Adams. I was able to get a good photo of Abigail's famous letter to her husband asking him to "remember the ladies".

I also have more ladies to tell about from my adventures yesterday as I traveled across New York.

I spent last night here in Niagara Falls and plan to see the falls this morning before I start deadheading for home. I'm staying at a fancy hotel, The Crown Plaza, for $89 because it's off season. I stopped at a rest stop where they had a tourist information and someone to help and he told me about this place and the rate. It's about $100 less than the usual rate and very close to the falls.

It's been a great trip and I have lots more to tell but need to get with the program as my dad would say.

This trip has been fabulous and everyday I've see so much and have so much more to tell you.

Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment