Monday, April 19, 2010

Grand Canyon

Sunday morning I spent at the Grand Canyon. What a beautiful place. Photographs do not do justice to some of these beautiful places. I traveled the south rim of the canyon and stopped at the viewing places and did my best to show some of the scenes.

In this photo, you will see a larger view of the prior photo. This was just before the people went out on the ledge. In this photo, you will see a man near the top in the middle of the photo. He was taking pictures of the two from the prior photo.

The Grand Canyon is 277 miles long and the places you can drive to are but a small part. More adventurous people go hiking--even overnight. I'm not up to that but I could see so many beautiful places where the river below has cut through the rock. I remember from science that with water and rock (or anything else), water always wins. How true. Over the millions of years the water has made the canyon. You can see the Colorado River below in some places.

Yet the world is such a small place. A week ago tomorrow, I saw a woman I know from Beatrice that said she would be at the Grand Canyon on Sunday and I told her I would be as well. It seemed unlikely that we would run into each other in such a huge place with so many places to stop. We ran into each other in the women's bathroom at the visitor's center. Weird, huh.

Nebraska Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment