Thursday, April 22, 2010

Nebraska Nellie has gone Hollywood.


Yes, I've gone Hollywood. I'm here in Hollywood at the Hotel Roosevelt. I wonder what famous people have stayed here in my room before.

This place is fancier than the typical hotel I stay at--and far more expensive. It's been amazing to have so many people here to see classic movies. Peter Bogdonovich was on the same elevator with me when I first checked into my room.

Soon after, I had to check in at the TCM room to get my gift bag. I met a very nice young woman who came here from Canada. She is originally from Scotland. I thought I would find her again before the movie but with all the people, I never saw her. However, I met two other people at the welcome party. One woman was from near LA. A man was in line right behind us for the food and we talked to him. It turns out James is from Waverly, Nebraska but has lived here for 25 years.

The first film I watched was A Star is Born with Judy Garland and James Mason. It's newly restored and is a great film. However, there are three versions of this film. Robert Osborne introduced the film and called Alec Baldwin to join him. He said there were over 40 celebrities in the theatre. I saw a number of them. Martin Landau, Eli Wallach, Gene Kelly's widow, Cheryl Crane (Lana Turner's daughter), Diane Baker, and several others.

There is so much going on that you can't be everywhere. By going to that film, I missed Neptune's Daughter. Esther Williams was there.

So far, it's great fun. Much more to come in the following days.

Nebraska Nellie

2 comments:

  1. Don't let the starlight blind you! You'll need to see when you come back to earth. Is Doris Day anywhere to be found???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you need some Dame Edna glasses for Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete